After many years, and the efforts of several diligent researchers, a book covering the history of the Mortier company was published in October 2019.
The initiative was taken by Ruud Brienen, a Mortier organ-owning member of the Kring van Draaiorgelvrienden and has been written and put together by Tom Meijer with the assistance of a team of knowledgeable contributors. The book deals with the following subjects:
- Chronicle of members of the Mortier family.
- The history of the Mortier company.
- Details of the factory layout, how it expanded, and a study of the staff that worked there.
- A chapter featuring the various music arrangers that worked for the firm.
- A general overview of firm’s products (up to 1914; 1918-1929; 1930-1944; 1945-1952).
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier organs.
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier orchestrions.
- The organ-rental business of Gustaaf Schollaert of Ghent.
- How René van den Bosch continued the Mortier name after the original company was liquidated.
- Appendices including a list of organ and orchestrion serial numbers and photographs of original designs for organ fronts.
With over 400 pages and several hundred historic photographs, many of which are being published for the first time, this book deserves a place on every organ enthusiast’s bookshelf.
Of particular interest to most of our readers is that the text of the book is in two languages, Dutch and English, making the contents widely accessible. We are pleased to have been involved with the translation of this valuable resource, which we are sure will quickly become a standard reference work. In the Netherlands, the book will be available from various sources where KDV members showing their membership card will receive a discount on the normal price.
Book price £40.00
UK mainland packing, delivery and insurance £9.99